Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Victoria Wallet Instructions/Tutorial

As promised here are the instruction for the wallet I posted on September 23.


Victoria Wallet (4 ¼”h x 7 ¼”w, closed)
(10 ¼” h x 7 ¼”w, open)

Materials:

½ yard of cotton fabric
¼ yard of interfacing (I used Pellon d├ęcor Bond® 809)
Snap fastener (or no sew hook and loop tape)
Matching thread
Evaporating pen or chalk marker (I prefer chalk markers)

*** All seams are ½” unless otherwise noted. ***

Cutting:

1. Cut 11 ¾” x 8 ½” from cotton fabric and interfacing for outside of wallet.
2. Cut 24” x 8 ½” from cotton fabric for inside of wallet.
3. Cut 8” x 8 ½” from cotton fabric for checkbook/extra pocket.

Assembly:

1. Iron interfacing to wrong side of outside of wallet. Make sure to iron out all wrinkles/puckers/bubbles on right side of outside of wallet.
2. Lay the inside of wallet on a flat surface to mark lines for folding. The folds will hold bills and credit cards.
3. Draw lines across the width of the inside of wallet 5 ¾” (line 1), 8 ⅜” (line 2), 10 ⅞” (line 3), 12 ⅝” (line 4), 14 ⅞” (line 5), and 16 ⅝” (line 6) down from top of inside of wallet. Measure and mark carefully, this step is very important. If done incorrectly, the bill and credit card holders may not fit.
4. Fold at line 1, right sides together, and iron to form a crease. When folding, always make sure that the sides of the inside of wallet are aligned with each other.

5. Unfold and fold at line 2, wrong sides together, and iron to form a crease.
6. Unfold and fold at line 3, right sides together, and iron to form a crease.
7. Unfold and fold at line 4, wrong sides together, and iron to form a crease.
8. Unfold and fold at line 5, right sides together, and iron to form a crease.
9. Unfold and fold at line 6, wrong sides together, and iron to form a crease.
10. Fold lines 3-6 according to creases. Pin in place.
11. Draw a center line 3 ½” long, starting at line 2. If done correctly, you will have marked a line 3 ½” long, 4 ¼” from sides.

12. Place a few credit cards in the folds to make sure they fit properly. Remove cards.
13. Sew two times over drawn line (4 ¼” from sides). This line divides credit card holders so that there are now 4 credit card holders.
14. Fold the remaining lines according to creases. Pin in place.
15. Baste ¼” from raw edges, making sure to catch folds. Basting will hold folds in place.
16. Fold checkbook/extra pocket in half lengthwise, wrong sides together, and iron. If done correctly, this pocket should now measure 4” x 8 ½”.
17. Lay checkbook/extra pocket on top of inside of wallet, so that the sides and bottom raw edges are aligned.
18. Pin and baste (¼” from edge) around sides and bottom to hold checkbook/extra pocket in place.

19. Iron to flatten.
20. Place outside of wallet and inside of wallet, right sides together.

21. Pin and sew around all 4 sides, leaving a 2” opening for turning.
22. Clip corners.

23. Turn right side out through opening. Slip stitch closed.
24. Iron both sides of wallet.
25. Topstitch around all four sides of wallet, 1/8” from edge.
26. This step is optional, but I highly recommend it. Draw a line 2 ¼” and 6 ½” down from top (wallet folds). Sew on top of these lines.

27. Center “male” fastener ½” – 1” down from top of wallet. Make sure that the decorative side of the “male” fastener is on the outside of wallet.

28. Attach fastener following manufacturer's instructions.
29. Center “female” fastener on outside of wallet, placing it where “male” fastener will meet the “female” fastener. Make sure that the decorative side of the “female” fastener is on the inside of wallet, under the checkbook/extra pocket.


30. Attach fastener following manufacturer's instructions.
31. Fold wallet and snap shut.



Enjoy! Please feel free to send questions/comments. I would love to hear from you.

I have received several comments anonymously.  If you post a comment anonymously, I have no way of contacting you.  You can remedy this problem in two ways.  Either change your settings so that your name appears with your comments or add your email address in your comment.  If you do not know if you comments appear with an "anonymous" label, leave a comment and then go back to view the title in your comment.

If I have not contacted you, it's because I have no way to do so.

26 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great tutorial Talin! I can't wait to try it - I need a new wallet bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so pretty - thanks for the wonderful tute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tutorial! Hmmm maybe I will make a wallet to match my latest purse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Talin! Great instructions and photos -- it will be a fun "for me" project after Christmas! Florence

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely wallet and great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tutorial! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really nice! I just found the link via Freebies for Crafters. I'd love to link to it as well if you didn't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is wonderful! i sorely need a new wallet and this one looks pretty much perfect, especially in the fabrics you've chosen. (for me, i'll need to adapt part of it to be a change purse, but that shouldn't be too difficult) thanks for the tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tutorial! I love a wallet with plenty of pockets!!

    I posted a link to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-fabric-wallet/2009/10/10/

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  10. With the holidays just around the corner, this is a great gift idea. Your tutorial is well written. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought I left you a comment but it doesn't seem to be here...I have put a link to you on my freebies blog...thanks for the tutorial..hugs Khris

    ReplyDelete
  12. such pretty fabric. I've been making basic wallets but havent tried something like this yet. Thanks for the tut and the inspiration.

    Heather
    http://nightdreamer_371.bravejournal.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. It seems like my passport will actually fit in this wallet... excellent. That's my primary form of ID, and I'm always losing it because I can't keep it in my wallets!

    I do wish this had more credit card spots, but it's excellent as is!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just finished mine! It looks amazing I'm so pleased!! Black with white skulls and crossbones, black interior, and red with white n black flowers as the extra pocket; and a magnetic snap closure. Thanks so much for the tutorial!
    <3 Ashlee

    ReplyDelete
  15. I sure wish I would have seen this before I made mine! Well at least now I have some directions to follow!! Love Di ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm looking for a pattern for a thumb drive apron/case for a guy friend of mine. Something he can wear around the waist to carry an assortment of flash drives while he works (engineer). Any help would be appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  17. help. I totally can not get the folding, for the victorian wallet. ? line 3 to line 6 ? or 3 to 4, 5 to 6 ?

    ReplyDelete
  18. This message is for the persons above who have left messages anonymously. I have no way of contacting you since you left your message anonymously. You need to add your email address in your comment or change your settings so that you are not labeled as anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  19. my appolizies..... I got so frustrated, I finally had to set the project aside. Folding and creasing. I am having a mental block and probably over thinking the process. Really appreciate any help. I really want to be able to put this together. I work and only have a few hours a day to work on any project. thank you dorthjas@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  20. Im making this for my Art assignment, it looks amazing but im going to use different material and maybe a magnetic clamp.
    thankyou so much for your help! (:

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was curious if you had any tips or tutorials on how to add a zippered change purse to this? I'm making a ragbag purse at the moment, and want to make a matching wallet of the same materials - but I always seem to have loose change and your tutorial here is by far the best one I've found to fit my needs. My e-mail is ballw1@nku.edu! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've used many patterns off the internet and yours, by far, is the easiest and most accurate to follow. The wallet is adorable and the measurements for all parts were perfect!

    Love it, thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, I have made one checkbook wallet with coin purse. I made the outside and lining as one unit, quilted. Then I made the charge card section and coin purse as seperate sections which I sewed onto the outer section. I wish I had put some stiff interfacing in the coin purse to give it some structure. By sewing the sections in, it created pockets behind the sections for coupons or paper money. I used zelcro closure. The trouble is I can't remember exactly how I did it. kay.riebel@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  25. I am getting expertise all the time by reading such pleasurable posts. in the know

    ReplyDelete