Okay, so a while ago I had made a fabric bowl (August 2009). Well, I thought of making a handbag using the same technique. Here is the result...
I started out with blue fabric for the base and bottom of the bag. Then I continued with a fabric I loved for the top of the bag. The best thing about this bag is that it is already fully lined.
I added an inside pocket, which was the hardest part of the process. The bag is fairly stiff and it is hard to get it under the presser feet. If you have a large sewing machine bed (which, of course, I don't) then it would not be as difficult.
I sewed 3 long pieces of cording for each handle and voila...front and back.
It will be my new beach bag. Now to go back and make a smaller one that I can use during the summer.