Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Slow but steady

Remember the blue and red strip swap we had at the firehouse?  Well, I have been adding blocks to it from time to time.  I wanted to make as many blocks as I could from the fabric I received.  So, in total, I ended up with 20 blocks, I did have to add some fabric from my stash, but very little.  Here are the results...

I am planning on adding sashing and borders, but have to give it some thought.  I have some ideas, but am not ready to start.

Some of the blocks I made up as I went along, but most of them are from this little book I bought a long time ago.  It is called 1000 Great Quilt Block by Maggi McCormick Gordon.

The book has pictures of blocks with some cutting instructions, but I modify them.  For instance if they give instructions for a 6" block and I need a 9" block, I do some math and change the dimensions.  And if the dimensions do not convert easily, I add borders.  I cannot tell you how many times I have used this book.   The ironic thing is that I almost did not buy this book because I thought I had a great many quilt pattern books. That's it for now. I need to get back to work. 

1 comment:

  1. Lovely quilt! It's going to be beautiful once completed.
    Aloha!

    ReplyDelete