Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Having Fun With Half Square Triangles

I always cut up my leftover scraps into squares or strips and store them in baggies.  But do you know what I do with those leftovers from making bias binding?  Do you know what I mean?  When you make a 45 degree cut from selvage to selvage to make the bias binding, you have a very large triangle leftover.  I make half square triangles like these...

and I keep them in a drawer.  And when you have enough,  you can make a quilt.  I recently found a pattern from Friendship Triangles (by Edyta Sitar) and decided to give it a try.  Of course, I did not have enough half-square triangles, so I had to make some more.  I only used leftover fabrics and refused to cut into any fat quarters or yardage.  Here is what I ended up with...


There are 360 half square triangles in all.  I am very pleased with the way it turned out, but I have to be honest and say that this was the most frustrating quilt I have ever made.  There was a lot of un-sewing (seam ripper to the rescue) involved.  Maybe I am a bit of a perfectionist trying to get the points just right, but it was well worth it.  I was also happy to recognize the fact that I am a lot more patient now than I was when I first started quilting.  Perhaps, it is old age maturity.  Yes, maturity...that's what I meant to say.

Unfortunately I have to set this aside while I finish quilting some gifts.  I will post pictures once I have completed the quilts.

6 comments:

  1. It looks FABULOUS and worth all the frustrations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness that is so eye-catching - worth the frustration - it's splendid! And all from scraps, the kind I throw away, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is a wonderful quilt, way to use those scrap HST. I would have cut into the stash if I needed more. Patience? I don't know that word :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. AUNT TALIN!!!! you shouldn't have! that quilt is far too awesome to be my birthday present hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! Scrappy quilts are the best in my book. Your pincushion hat in the next post is very pretty, also.

    ReplyDelete