Tuesday, October 5, 2010

My All Time Favorite Quilt

When I look at my all time favorite quilt, it brings back so many memories.  I used to take one adult education course at a time.  Throughout the years I have taken framing, stained glass, etc..  It was where I took my very first quilting course.  My teacher was very old fashioned, she did not allow us to use a rotary cutter or rulers.  She taught us to use scissors and templates.  I was enjoying the class, but it was not until she brought in an old quilt that I fell in love.  She had purchased it unfinished at a garage sale.  The quilt pattern was a pineapple log cabin, but it was not flat...it was folded somehow.  I searched for that pattern for years and finally found it on line.  Of course, I ordered it and made it with all of my scraps...after all, I am a scrappy quilt lover.  It took me 5 years (how sad is that?)  Because you fold the fabrics, there is a muslin base...which leads to my very first mistake.  I should never have added batting because when all was said and done, the quilt was not only way too heavy, but also a bit stiff.  So I rolled it and covered it in sheeting and stored it in my closet for "someday".  And then last night, it was a bit cold and I thought, "Why not?  So what if it's a bit stiff, maybe it will soften with use."  It is not only my all time favorite quilt, but also my all time favorite pattern and I wanted to share it with you.  Oh, boy, this is wordy...anyway here it is:
and a close up...
So I was wondering, what captured your heart?


6 comments:

  1. WOW that is AMAZING. I adore this pattern and I absolutely love the colors and fabrics you've used in this, I don't think I would have the patience to finish such a large one. I can see why it's your favorite!
    Lots of different patterns have captured my heart, Tippecanoe is one of my all-time faves - but I've only seen it paper-pieced and I hate doing that. I don't much like piecing anyway. It's applique that remains my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart was captured from the moment I saw the fabric patterns. I just had to have the fabric and what better way could there be to show off such lovely prints!
    Your quilt is fantastic, I can see why it took so long to make - but totally worth it!
    -Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! Beautiful quilt!! I love it all! Just something to snuggle up with, but admire the real talent. (which is not me! lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!!! You never stop amazing me. This quilt is a beautiful treasure. No wonder it is your favorite. I love the fabric selection. It is beautiful. ANN

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful!! I bet it will soften with use. And, if not, it certainly is something wonderful to look at and admire. You should be proud

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spectacular. Deserving of being seen. It looks like a pineapple block.

    ReplyDelete