Friday, November 19, 2010

A New Wool Coat and Some Clutches


I do love working with wool and I had a few yards of black...so I decided to make myself a new wool coat.    Why?  Who knows?  I already had a coat pattern I wanted to try.  So I purchased some black fur (I do not know what else to call it) and here is the back and front.  If I ever make another wool jacket, I think I will opt for a simpler back...there was too many darts!  My freshman high school sewing teacher would be so proud.  I do not know how many of you had to take a sewing/cooking class when you were in high school, but it paid off for me.  I had one semester of sewing and she spent a lot of time explaining how to read a pattern and how to pin and cut.  I was bored out of my mind when we had to learn this and the parts of the machine, but now I am thankful that I know the basics.

On another note, I have been playing around with making some new clutches.  I pretty much used the same fabrics, but I tried to make different styles.  

I added a purchased pin.  I love this fabric.
I added a flower as you suggested, but it only looked good when the fabric strips were running horizontal.
Close up pic of the flower.
This bag I refer to as the twisted bow.  It looks better in person.
I am getting near my 100th post, I cannot believe it.  So I have been thinking about a giveaway.  So far I have decided to fill a box with sewing things (buttons, ribbons, etc.) and perhaps a handmade item.  What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. Well to start - I of course think the give-away is brilliant as I love them and I know I had a lot of fun with mine.
    Then there is your awesome jacket! You are so lucky to have taken a class to learn the basics of pattern reading. Apparel patterns make absolutely no sense to me unless they are the most basic ones possible. It turned out fantastic and I do love your added fancy button and the twist bow. Great work my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WEll done with the coat.... the bags are great too - had a look through your blog and you have done a lot...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Talin -- Beautiful coat!! Bet that was very heavy to hold and sew! Anyone winning your box of sewing things AND a handmade item would be getting a true treasure box! See you soon -- Happy Thansgiving! Florence

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey.... that coat is gorgeous... I love pleats.
    The clutches are very nice too. Love the twisted one. Glad you got around to it. See you soon, Ilia

    ReplyDelete