Monday, February 28, 2011

A Relaxing Day and Gift Bags

Last week a friend and I decided to get together and sew.  We both wanted to make seat cushions so that we would be more comfortable when we go away on retreats.  After our first attempt, we decided to take a break for lunch and, afterwards, I made a few gift bags.  I got the instructions from A Spoonful of Sugar.  The instructions were easy to follow and they were a cinch to put together.

And the rest of the day, I spent working on my Kings X quilt.  I have now finished the center of the quilt and will be putting on the borders this week.

All I can say is...I am ready for another day of sewing together.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Strip Fever...

This is the new bag that I have been working on...
It is similar to the Spring Fever Bag, but it does not have a flower pin and I decided to tie the shoulder straps.  I really like all of the fabrics in this bag, mainly because I love batiks (and they are all batiks).  I ended up using a snap closure, but can see another bag with, perhaps, a button and loop closure in my future.  Well, that will be for another day.

Have fun all!

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Christmas Through the Year Club...February Project Complete

My February project for the Christmas Through the Year Club (hosted by Allie-oops sweet happy life) is complete.  I saw some chicken pin cushions when I was in a quilt and yarn shop in Stowe, Vermont.  I asked if there was a pattern for them.  Unfortunately there wasn't one, but I was told that it was done by making two Log Cabin blocks and two prairie points (for the tail).  So I gave it a try and this is what I came up with.  I like it!  I am definitely going to be making more of them.  It's fairly simple and fun to make.

I have made a few more Spring Fever Bags that I will post pictures real soon.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Making A Lot of Progress

I have been able to make a lot of progress these past two days.  I finally added binding to my triangle quilt.

In the end, I decided to sew the two handles of my Spring Fever Bag (thanks for the name Sandra).  I did not want to tie it and I thought adding a button would be overwhelming because of the pin.

I have been cutting out my applique pieces for my Red Circle Quilt (Drunkard's Path).  I cut 80" of bias binding, about 100 1/4 circles that have been sewn together, and 30 leaves.  I still have 40 more leaves to sew and cut, but I can see the finish line.

And my latest Decorator Bag...

I made this one with shoulder straps and ties.  I added beads to the end of the ties. 

I am currently working on my Christmas Through the Year Club.  Well, mostly just thinking about it, but hope to get to it soon.

Just a quick note to those who leave comments on my blog.  I always answer every comment, unless they are a no-reply commenter.  What this means is that you do not have an email address associated with your blog.  If you would like me to reply, please add your email address to your comments.

Allie from Allie-oops Sweet Happy Life informed me that my Funky Stars block is a pattern that is in Gwen Marston's Liberated Quiltmaking book.  It is quite an expensive book (about $65).  Before purchasing it, I will take it out from my library to see if it is worth it.  

So that's it for now.  Hope you all have had time to sew, sew, sew!

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Funky Stars

While I am busy cutting out applique pieces for my Drunkard's Path (red circle) quilt, I decided to show the blocks I made while up in Vermont.  This is the last set of blocks I made while on vacation.

I learned how to make these stars years ago when I took a class with Rachel Clark.  I made a sample of the block and have been looking at it from time to time.  I finally decided to make the plunge.  I am not sure how many of these blocks I have made and I do not know how many more I will make...I like the fact that no two stars are alike and they can be made from small scraps.  Most of the star fabrics are from fat eights or fat quarters.  So for now, these funky star blocks will sit in a pile until I have enough of them to complete a quilt.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Progress On My Red Circle Quilt

I have made some progress on my Drunkard's Path (red circle quilt).  As you can see, I have added border #1 and am planing on adding two more borders.  Border #2 will be slightly wider than border #1 and border #3 will probably be about 10" wide (I plan on appliqueing on border #3).  I am having fun with this one now.