Thursday, April 28, 2011

De-cluttering and Organizing My Scraps

I do not know how many of you there are out there that save your scraps, I am one of you!  Sometimes I cut my scraps right after finishing a project, but sometimes I just get lazy and put them away in a bin (neatly piled).  So guess what I have been doing these past two days?  Well, if you guessed cutting up my scraps, you would be right.  I wish I had taken a picture of the pile before I started to cut them into squares, strips, and triangles, but I did not think about it until it was too late.  Here is the result of my labors.


I cut 2"- 8" squares (1/2 sizes too), 1" - 2 1/2" strips, and all sizes of triangles (these are left over from my bias binding cuts).

Then I put them in trays...


And put the trays in see through plastic bins...


And now I feel better.  The only thing that would make me happier is if I could find something to do with this...

By the way, this is only 1/2 the pile I have.  

Now I will ready for another scrappy quilt, I just have to search for a pattern I like.

11 comments:

  1. That's a big job sorting it all out.... I'm afraid Ikeep my scraps untidily in boxes and just rummage through - I need you at my house....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I have some of mine cut and sorted into shoe boxes -- but I have a whole laundry basket, and 2 small drawers -- whoops, make that 3 drawers! -- of scraps that I have not yet cut. Do you ever worry that you have cut the scraps into one shape/size and you will discover later that you really want another shape/size? I must just be indecisive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally love the tray idea in the plastic bins. Awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only recently started saving scraps, and are they a mess! I need you to come here and organize me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,Talin:-)
    I was really amazed reading Your post and thought of You as about 'a Mouse',that gathers all necessary things,small,but very important pieces of colourful fabrics,thinking carefully,how to sort them out,where to put in,how to fill a tray,or a box :-)It is almost the same,like me,with my beads,sorted out and put into the special boxes,accordingly to the colours and shapes:-)Each of us-Creative Women have the same problems and the same pleasures with preparations to our work.In case of scraps-the trays are very useful.You can always have them all in order and at hand:-)
    Best Greetings and Kisses-Halinka-

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I were so organized. I'm lucky to sort by color and then stick them into bins.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Talin,
    I have sorted my scraps into colors, it took me hours and hours (mind you I procrastinated along the way!). Trouble is, when I use them for a project they just fluff back into a mess again!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't done my scraps in a long time. I do like how you did yours ! As for the heap at the bottom, how about using it for stuffing stuffed animals? I crochet stuffed animals from time to time and that could work! Love Di ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Talin, the heap of scraps would be great to use as string quilts.....I have a container full of them.....Regards, Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so organised. My pile is getting bigger. I have left it for now because I want to make some crazy blocks and keep thinking I will tidy up when I start those blocks. This morning instead of tidying the scraps I started cutting off the selvedges I could find because I saw such a cool selvedge bag the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's looking good. Doesn't it seem to have much more value when it's ready to use like that instead of looking all left over.

    ReplyDelete