Wednesday, July 20, 2011

My First Mug Rug and Another Summer Sampler Series Block Completed

I have seen so many mug rugs on different blogs, so I finally decided to take the plunge.  Here is a picture of my first mug rug.

This is a cheater cloth and I bought it a long time ago, but could never find a use for it.  So I cut it down a bit and then quilted along the fence, flowers, and birdhouse.  I was thinking about adding beads and buttons, until I realized how silly that would be.  It would so get in the way of placing a mug/cup and cookies.  Sometimes I get so caught up on the creativity that I forget the initial purpose.

I also managed to make my third block for the Summer Series quilt along.  This block was a bit hard.  It looks so easy, but matching all the points was not!!!  But it is done.  I am currently working on the next block.  


We had another sew in yesterday and here is a picture of the table we were working on.  It's a bit cleaner than usual...




13 comments:

  1. I love your mug rug Talin. Like a cheerful piece of art. And your block is pretty too. Great job!

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea for "cheater cloth". It made a darling mug rug :) Great work on you block.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a great time at your sew-in - and I'll remember that use for cheater panels. We get them sometimes in fabric donations and I'm never quite sure how to use all of them! Your mugrug is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great mug rug - I love the idea with the 'cheater cloth'... I am also trying my first one.... your block looks great...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,Talin:-)
    Your mug rug looks like a marvelous picture :-)I would be afraid to put the coffee cup on it,in order not to make stains.It's really beautiful-You have chosen a fantastic piece of fabric for it and have finished it in a fine way.
    I am still very much interested in the final effect of Your Summer series quilting and I can hardly wait for it to end:-)I see the very nice colors and really the difficult piece of work.
    The table looks fabulous! :-) It is colorful from fabrics around-this is the real artistic mess-I adore it! If only You had seen my desk,when I work! :-)Not only my desk-also lots of boxes with beads around it.Now-there's wool around me again:-) For a while I have come back to crocheting.I am making a small Mousie for one Woman from Ireland on her special order.
    Great Hugs and Kisses -
    -Halinka-

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, good for you! I always go to look at new mug rugs when I hear about them, and I am so glad that I did! I love the idea of using cheater cloth (have not seen any that did yet) as it is just adorable, and I do love cheater fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mug rug is great. Aren't they fun to do?

    That block is fabulous. I love the colors, but imagine all those points did prove a bit challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute idea for a mug rug - I'm with you, I'd probably have started embellishing, lol! But yes, it would make it difficult to use for the intended purpose. GREAT block, but oh those points - you did an amazing job on that! How come our tables look alike and I didn't get to sew with a friend?????

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your idea for the mug rug Talin.. your table looks like mine, except mine's much worse!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clever idea for the mug rug! I have one or two of those in my stash that I never knew what to do with them...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute mug rug Talin, and I loved the colors in your square. Very pretty!!
    Love Di ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your colourful blocks and the mug rug looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea for a Christmas present, just add tea cup and dessert plate

    ReplyDelete