Sunday, December 4, 2011

New Joy Quilt Frame Problem/Fix

I have not been able to quilt on my New Joy Gold frame because I have been a bit frustrated with it skipping stitches when the sewing machine got to a certain spot.  After a lot of researching, I realized that the frame could not support my sewing machine (Janome 1600P) at the center point between the center and side legs.  This was not a problem with the smaller quilt frame, but I purchased the larger (wider) frame.  So what to do?  I read all the comments and convos on the Google site and found one person who had her husband support the frame better...so I asked my husband to help me.  First I called the support group and spoke with Tom to see if I could buy 4 additional legs and leg supports (the metal bar that goes between the front and back legs).  Luckily, they had some in some in stock, so I ordered them.  My husband had to drill holes into the frame to install the legs.  Then we leveled the frame with shims.  Of course, my husband did not like this solution because he did not think they would stay in place, so he surfed the web to find these 1"square tube insert and hex.  He bought them on the International Components website for under $4 each.  What these inserts allow you to do, is to raise or lower each leg individually.  So we replaced all of the original inserts (that came with the frame) with these new inserts and then leveled the frame.  I have to say that this frame is really secure now.  I can't wait to try quilting on it.  I know this was such a long post, but I wanted to provide this information to anyone else out there who might have this problem.  I know how frustrating it was for me.  I cannot tell you how frustrated...and you don't want to know.

The insert on the left is the original ones that came with the frame.  The one on the right are the ones we purchased.
This is what my frame looks like now:


So now my husband is trying to find a solution to this mess:


He wants to tidy up these wires and perhaps put them on a platform with wheels underneath.

10 comments:

  1. Way to go hubby! I hope it's working good for you now, yes I can well imagine the frustration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love posts with useful information! Thanks. Good for your hubby too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh well done to you and your hubby... hope it all works fine now...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like the perfect solution to a major headache. I hope it works well now. I can't wait to see his solution to the wires!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Thanks to hubby you'll be quilting in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to admit, when I saw your thumbnail on Sarah's blog I thought you had taken up gymnastics and were performing on the parallel bars. I'm so glad your husband solved the support problem for your frame. I love the little gadgets he found for the legs. They could probably solve all kinds of furniture problems.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky you have such a handy husband! Glad you have the problem sorted. Enjoy quilting on your new frame.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ya, I'd like to see what happens to the wires too. The mess looks just like mine and sometimes wires get caught under the centre back leg which has a levelling thing too. Hmmm...It's just occurred to me that it might help to take a yogurt container, cut the bottom out, cut it up the side so you can slip it over the leg and if you need to, tape the side cut shut again. I'm going to try that. Yay! Thanks for making me think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope the trip works for you! Good luck with the cords.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think I will ever have quilting frame problems ( I am not likely to own one) but those leveling things look interesting. You really should tidy up those cords for your own safety!

    ReplyDelete