Saturday, May 28, 2011

Pretty Pink Handbag

Just in the nick of time, I finished my Christmas Through the Year Club for this month.  I made this handbag with a friend in mind.  I know she will love it.  I used bright pinks and added two trims (one made of cotton, the other from ribbon).  On top of that I added a very pretty butterfly pin.  I added a generous inside pocket and used a snap closure.  I love how this handbag turned out.




Hey, I now have 4 gifts done,  should have 5, but I am not going to be down on myself for that.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Funky Steps and Garage Sale Find

I have been busy writing a tutorial for a new handbag using the Go Cutter!  Meanwhile, I finished this quilt.   Of course I love the bright colors and I titled it Funky Steps because the blocks are Court House Steps.
Now that the weather is a bit warmer, it's time for garage sales.  This past week, I spent $3 to purchase what you can see in this picture below (a table runner, 3 cross stitched napkins, 3 crocheted trim, and a needlepoint piece).
I made the mistake of hand washing all my finds.  Unfortunately, the needlepoint piece colors bleed/ran.  But I ended up liking the way it turned out.  I will probably make a pillow out of this piece.  The others...who knows what I will do with them, but you can be assured that I will cherish them.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

My Go Cutter

My husband gave me an AccuQuilt Go cutter as a gift a few months ago.  I really wanted one because I save my scraps and wanted to be able to cut them into shapes.  I joined a club hosted by SewCalGal and, as a result, I was contacted by AccuQuilt.  They sent me these three die cuts with mat boards!  Lucky me!  Thank you Accuquilt (Lee, to be exact).



I am planning on using the one to the far right as an applique for one of my handbags.  So stay tuned for a tutorial.  The great thing is that I can iron a fusible onto the back of my fabric before running it through the Go cutter.  This way it will be all ready to iron onto my handbag.

For anyone who does not know how to use the Go cutter, it is really simple.  First you pick the die cut you want and highlight the motifs with a Sharpie.  Although highlighting is an option, it makes fabric placement easier, so I highly recommend it.


Then you add the fabrics you want on top of the shapes.


Then you top that with the cutting mat and run it through the Go cutter.


And voila, you have your shapes cut out for you.  I piled two fabrics through each shape, so there are two flowers and two centers.


The most I have layered onto a die cut has been 6.  For wool, yes I have run wool through it, I have put 2 layers.  Hope this has been helpful, let me know.

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Another Finish and A Squishy Package

Okay, I have to keep this short.  I have completed my King's X quilt.  It measures 75" x 105".  I ended up quilting circles on it because the back of the quilt (brown batik fabric) warranted it.


I am really happy with the way it turned out.

On another note, I received my squishy package from Allie.  I won her April giveaway for the Christmas Through the Year Club.  Not only did I get to finish a Christmas gift early, but I won a prize for it, does that not beat all?  Thank you Allie.

I also wanted to mention that sometimes I start to reply to a comment made on one of my posts only to realize that they are a "no-reply" blogger.  So if I do not reply to any of your comments, it's because I can't.

Have a great day everyone.  It is nice and sunny here, hope it is by you too.

Friday, May 6, 2011

Red, White, and Blue Quilt Finished

I have not been able to sew much, but decided to quilt some of my finished quilt tops.  So I put my Red, White, and Blue quilt on my quilting frame.  Much to my surprise, I did a nice job quilting it.  I guess I am finally getting the hang of quilting on a frame.  Well, at least, I hope so anyway.


I did a meandering quilt stitch, I took a picture of it, but I am afraid that it is very difficult to see.  Here is 
a picture of the back of the quilt.


I am really happy with the way this turned out.  Now, the colors in this quilt are not at all the colors I normally work with.  And there is a reason for that...most of the fabrics are from a strip fabric swap that was held at our firehouse get togethers.  Now, I wonder what the other ladies did with their strips...hmmm.