Saturday, April 14, 2012

Threads and Yarns

Once a month Silk City Fibers factory (in Paterson, NJ) opens to the public.  They sell an array of yarns that are used by loom weavers.  They sell by the pound which I am not used to, but I decided to take a trip and "learn".


And this is what I came home with.  These yarns are about $20/lb.  and each cone pictured above is a bit over a pound.  They actually weigh them at the checkout.  I did not need these yarns, but I could not pass them up (love the colors).  The blues will make great water enhancers, the greens will be great for leaves, grass, and bushes, and the brown for trees.  I will probably not use the entire cone, but I can try.  These yarns are too thick to run through the sewing machine tension disks, but I can use them in the bobbin or couch them to provide some texture to the quilts and other projects.

I have also been purchasing other threads for quilting, here is a small sampling:


I have quilted with the Signature (cotton), but have found that it creates a lot of lint.  I just used King Tut (cotton) for the first time to finish my latest Kings X quilt and have found it to be durable and without creating too much lint.  I have not had the opportunity to try the non-cotton threads, but am looking forward to using them in the near future.

Of course I have drawers full of other threads and yarns, but I have been wanting to try different brands and types of thread to experiment a bit.

6 comments:

  1. YOu did find some lovely colours and at a great price... I have used King Tut before and liked it too -
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool threads-I've never heard of buying by the pound either, always, always something new to learn!
    I LOVE Superior threads. I have not had a problem with any that I've tried. The Bottom Line and SoFine are terrific too-not as heavy as the King Tut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMY!! I'm not surprised you couldn't resist them!!~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I laughed when I read that you didn't really need those threads. They certainly look interesting. I too have bought some sample boxes of different sorts of threads and I haven't used any of them yet. I want to try some fancy ones in the overlocker (serger). Interesting that you talk about lint. It never occurred to me that different threads gave off different amounts of lint but I have started to notice that some threads do make a lot of lint. I can see that this would be a pain when quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing like some pretty threads to just look at - even if you don't use them they are a great sewing room decoration! One of my girls is doing a lot of satin stitch on a school project for her "textiles and design" subject. It's a bit of a learning experience finding the right threads and machine settings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you had fun! I love buying supplies for projects. That and thrift shopping are the only types of shopping that I like!
    Love Di ♥

    ReplyDelete